Fall Maintenance List
With the seasons quickly changing, don’t forget to complete your Fall house maintenance list. Looks like the weather has warmed up for the weekend, which will make it a good time to complete the following tasks below!
Here are a few tips from our Warranty Provider Progressive Home Warranty:
- Check windows and doors on the exterior for possible air or water leaks ‐ make sure the weep holes are clear at the bottom on the outside.
- Inspect caulking around windows for cracks or separation from the window or building.
- Check the roof for loose shingles, tiles or shakes. Make sure vents are in good condition and are not blocked with debris.
- If you have large trees or shrubs close to the home, make sure they are trimmed well back to avoid branches damaging the exterior of the home, the shingles or interfering with vents.
- Check for leaves and debris in gutters and eavestroughs ‐ check for blockages at the down‐pipe connections.
- Have Gas heating systems inspected by a certified professional.
- Vacuum and clean out forced air registers (vents) and ductwork in your home.
- Remove the hoses and any diverter manifolds or other attachments from the hose bib itself.
- Remember to turn outside water outlets off and drain exterior faucets of water before winter! There are several kinds of outside water outlets. If you have only the frost‐free type of hose bib, it shuts off only from the outside of your home. Make sure all hoses and appliances are disconnected to allow water to drain out. You may have a frost‐free type that also has an inside water shut‐off valve. Shut off the inside valve, then open the outside hose bib to allow it to drain. You may have a non‐frost‐free type of hose bib with an inside shut‐off. Turn off the water at the inside valve and open the outside valve to ensure the water drains. Some new homes have the hose bibs inside the garage or a utility room ‐ these too should have the hoses disconnected and be drained before freezing temperatures.
- Check CO (Carbon Monoxide) detectors if installed.
- Check all the vents outside your home; the combustion vent intake, the dryer vent and the range hood vent. Make sure they are all clear, functional and the screens are clean.
Click here for more information from Progressive Home Warranty.